I wanted to show my light duty, sit down firearms station. This is in the Armory where it is easy to control the climate.
I made a set of drawers to help hold all my stuff.
Wanted some better light so we got a high efficiency light for overhead:
Right now the switch is a power strip. Made a real switch that I will add in the next couple days.
Thats it for now, I will update this weekend.
Forgot to show the railing! I have a Tipton Best Gun Vise, I got tired of having to clamp it down. So I routed the rail directly into the workspace!
Works good so far
As you can see from the pictures above, cant tell it is there when the mat is rolled over it.
Got the light switch hooked up
I wanted a solvent tank that will take care of my weapons parts as well as my shop tools. I got the Solvent Tank from Northern Tool and Equipment. Then I mixed up ‘Ed’s Red’ Bore Cleaner and poured it in. Well that was a mistake! I did not read the manual (RTFM), the pump is only for water based solvents:
I replaced the pump with this guy from Zoro.com I had to modify the top plate a bit to get it to fit:
Then I set it all in place and added some brass fittings to help keep the solvent out.
Put the wiring back together:
Added the brush and did a test run. All good!
Published on Jul 30, 2017
We got our steel targets from MOA targets . Man is shooting steel fun! We got 1 – 1/4 inch AR400 and 1 – 3/8 AR500 targets. I threw one of the targets I cut into the mix as well. All 8 inch. By the way, the AR400 I thought I had is mild steel, you will see as the video series progresses.
In a nut shell all 3 handled pistol up to .45 at 10 to 15 Yards without penetration. The Mild had some dents, AR 400 and AR 500 nada.
Here is the Color Code:
Black = Mild Steel, We cut
Yellow = MOA Targets AR500
Orange = MOA Targets AR400
We started lighting up the AR400 ¼ inch steel targets. This is a quick breakdown:
9mm at 15 Yards, 22 at 100 and 150 Yards. Looks good
Here is the 8mm Mouser K98 and 5.56/223 at 100+ yards
And the Gong:
not good, went through it like butter!
There is a lot of talk about steel targets. You can go on line and find enough information to boggle your mind. I decided to go with ¼ inch AR400 steel gongs. These are for my personal use, nothing more. I will post pictures after I light them up.
Here is shot of the 4×8 sheet.
I had to remember how to use my plasma cutter. It was not pretty, but I got it done:
With my Army back, I found it very hard to work on the floor so broke down the plate into smaller lighter sections. With help we put it up on some saw horses to make it easier to cut.
I also discovered these little gems from Swag Off Road. I put the screw and washer in one of the unused holes to create an adjustable stand off. I just adjust for the locations and tighten down the 2 nuts to keep my cutting tip off the steel.
And the bottom. Ignore the scoring:
Greatly improved my cuts:
Here is a shot of the targets for this run:
1 – 20 inch
1 – 12 inch
5 – 8 inch
4 – 6 inch
Drilled 2 holes in each, painted and setup:
Decided to make a shooting bench. I found some very nice plans HERE. Well written and easy to follow.
Here is a shot of my framing job:
Sealed it up before putting the top on:
Cut and added the top and bench:
Finished product with the rubber/mouse pad topper:
11 April 2017 – Sent Application to ATF and Sheriff
13 April 2017 – Delivered to Sheriff
14 April 2017 – Delivered to ATF
18 April 2017 – ATF Cashed Check
09 May 2017 – ATF Called, Interview on the 16th of May
16 May 2017 – Interview went well, should have license in 4-6 weeks
27 May 2017 – License came in the mail!